Website Appteon, Inc.
Innovative Thinking. Powerful Results.
We are looking for a candidate with strong writing, research, and editing skills to split their time between project-related work supporting our Department of Labor contract and corporate-focused work related to proposal writing and corporate communications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (must provide technical writing samples).
- Demonstrated superior editing and writing skills, familiarity with major style guides (GPO preferred), and interact comfortably with colleagues and clients across disciplines.
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, ability to work independently and productively with minimal supervision, and assertiveness in setting deadlines and prioritizing multiple and competing assignments within a team environment are absolutely critical.
The Writer/Editor will work with the Communications team and serve as content and style oversight for all kinds of projects, ranging from small reports to large, brochures, flyers, online information and more. The incumbent will maintain a high level of accuracy and quality and manage writing, editing and the production of various communications and knowledge management products that further the strategic goals of the project’s clients. Examples of assignments include technical briefs, copy for marketing materials, web pages and articles, monthly reports, and large scale technical and project reports. Duties beyond writing and editing include proofreading, document formatting, style review, branding maintenance and editorial direction. The right candidate will be a team player with strong interpersonal skills, excellent communications skills (both verbal and written), a sense of humor, and the ability to juggle multiple priorities and competing deadlines.
Duties and Essential Responsibilities
- Function as a communications and information specialist, preparing material for publications and other media internally and externally.
- Coordinate publications and other collateral material using both print and electronic media including the web and desktop publishing software to draft, edit, and lay out material for distribution.
- Responsible for final reviews of proposed publications for style, design, layout, and editorial aspects before government approval.
- Research, analyze, and perform technical review to identify and promote promising practices for workforce and apprenticeship programs
- Gather necessary information from Program personnel, other federal employees, and applicable policy, regulations, and best practices to support the Government in developing, writing, formatting, and editing technical and non‐technical information for reports, manuals, toolkits, marketing collateral, procedures, processes, briefs, and other forms of documentation.
- Provide technical and editorial document review and written feedback on documents.
- Perform note taking services during focus groups and roundtable discussions and compile notes summary
In this role, the chosen candidate will be primarily responsible for creating materials related to Request for Proposal (RFP), Request for Qualification (RFQ), and Request for Information (RFI) in a government contracting environment, as well as developing processes to support company messaging, whitepapers, documents, website and other assigned tasks. This position will be responsible for writing, formatting, and editing Federal Government proposals and the creation of winning proposals by engaging with subject matter experts across the company to develop detailed, comprehensive responses to our customers.
Duties and Essential Responsibilities
- Write clear, persuasive, and articulate proposal sections; translate technical and other ideas into easily understandable text; rewrite and review proposal sections and related proposal documents for complex Federal IT Requests for Proposal (RFPs).
- Read and understand complex Federal documents and develop compliant, creative responses with minimal supervision.
- Develop new content and re-use old content in fresh ways to respond to Government requirements.
- Design and develop proposal-support documentation, including templates, outlines, schedules, compliance matrices, section writing guidance, and kick-off presentations.
- Coordinate company resources to support the development of proposals to meet customer requirements.
- Meets proposal deadline by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval; entering and monitoring tracking data; coordinating requirements with contributors; contributing proposal status information to review meetings; and transmitting proposals.
- Will be responsible for gathering critical information from various departments to formulate a proposal that meets the requirements of the contract, in addition to managing the production and distribution of all working documents.
- Maintains quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
- Build and manage an RFP intellectual repository to improve response efficiency.
- Gathers proposal information by identifying sources of information; coordination submissions and collections; identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals.
- Composes questions and responses to client’s RFI; RFP, and/or RFQ in a manner consistent with company’s expectations and standards.
- Ability to work successfully independently and with both the President and technical staff to develop winning proposals.
Technical Skills & Expertise for Both Roles Include:
- 3-5 years in the writing/editing and proposal writing experience
- Software / Tools: MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator, SharePoint, Drop Box
- High proficiency with MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, etc. (Adobe InDesign a plus).
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Strong Research and organizational skills
- Presentation Skills, Layout Skills, Problem Solving, Formatting Skills, Deadline-Driven
- Maintains quality results by following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone
- Support in editing proposals / decomposing a Solicitation (shred-out)
- Ability to be flexible on hours when necessary to meet deadlines
- Assist in creation of Marketing materials as needed
- Create, save, and organize documents within SharePoint and Dropbox
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic thinking capabilities
- Ability to both work as a team and independently
- Ability to remain focused within a deadline driven atmosphere
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication, English or Marketing or Computer Science (or similar)